Grilled Pork Banh Mi
By Chef Bobby Ransom, Cliffhouse Restaurant, Buttermilk Mountain
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- Six 8-inch baguettes
- Hoisin sauce and Sriracha chile sauce
- Vegetable oil, for grilling
- 1/2 seedless cucumber julienne
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro
- In a blender, puree the fish sauce with the honey, sugar, pepper, scallions and garlic. Transfer the marinade to a bowl, add the pork and toss. Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours. Thread the pork through the top and bottom of each slice onto 12 bamboo skewers.
- Spread the rolls with hoisin and Sriracha. Light a grill and oil the grates. Brush the pork with oil and grill over high heat, turning, until just cooked, 4 minutes. Place 2 skewers in each roll, close and pull out the skewers. Top with the cucumber and cilantro and serve.