Try Resistance Bands
Exercise bands are a great way to get a resistance workout with very little equipment. Try this workout up to 3 times through for a full workout. These bands can be purchased anywhere you buy sporting goods.
- Squats – Stand on the resistance band with your feet hip width apart. Hold the resistance band in your hands keeping the hands at shoulder height with elbows tucked under. Sit back as if you were sitting in a chair. Press through your heels to stand back up. Repeat 12-15 times.
- Clamshell – Loop a band around your legs just above your knees. Lie on your back with hips and knees flexed to 90 degrees. Pull the knees apart while contracting your glutes for 2-3 seconds. Slowly return to starting position. Repeat 12-15 times.
- Walking Adductors – Step into a loop band or tie a therapy band around the lower legs, just above both ankles. Place your feet shoulder-width apart to create tension on the band. From a half-squat position, shift your weight to the left side, stepping sideways with the right leg. Move the standing leg slightly in, but keep the band taught. Continue in this direction for 10-15 steps then repeat the other direction.
- Seated Row – Sit with legs extended, place the center of the band behind the soles of your feet. Grasp the band with both hands, arms extended and palms facing each other. Sit nice and tall, bend at the elbow and pull the band toward your core, squeezing your shoulder blades together. Slowly return to starting position and repeat for 12-15 times.
- Lat Pulldown – Anchor the band overhead to a horizontal bar (or even a sturdy tree limb), pulling the free ends down at your sides. Kneel facing the anchor so the bands are positioned in front of you, gripping each end with arms extended overhead and hands slightly wider than shoulder-width. Bending the elbows, pull the band down toward the floor while contracting your back muscles. Once the hands reach your shoulders, slowly raise them back to the starting position. Repeat 12-15 times.
- Pushup – Get in plank position, draping the resistance band across your low back. Loop the ends of the band through each thumb, and place your hands on the ground in starting position — body facedown on the ground. Contract your glutes and abs, and push straight up until your arms fully extend. Lower back down, chest to the floor. Repeat 5-20 times.
For more great resistance band exercises click here.